Sunday, September 17, 2006

The day I wish I was 10 years younger...

Update (20 Sep 06): Pics of us (from left: yibs, me and huaiyue) looking stylo milo at ECP!


Look forward. Don't think about falling. Concentrate on your strides. Maintain your balance. You can do it. Ignore the people around you. No, no, that little pothole on the ground won't cause much damage. Ignore it! Damn!

For the 4th time, my butt hit the gound, and my ego has deflated to a new low. Yibs couldn't understand why I keep falling on my butt. Nether could I. Well, I didn't drive all the way to ECP to keep falling. (Although i think i fell 3 times without even venturing more than 100m away from the rental kiosk.)

I looked at hy and we shared the same sentiments. We ain't young no more. Trying to learn how to blade has become a great challenge. Especially with both my knees injured before, I am giving myself a great challenge and taking a big risk of injuring myself again.

As I tried to balance myself and gain the momentum to blade steadily again, i hear 2 girls behind me, sounding their bicycle bells to alert me and hy that they are approaching. Well, since we are the beginners, both of us stopped and waited for them to pass us before we proceed again.

And this 9 year-old girl who cycled past me actually remarked, "Don't worry! I was like that when I first started blading too!"

My jaw dropped. Not even my embarassing falls could beat that. I am 15 years her senior! You should have seen that smirk on her face! Yibs couldn't help but burst out laughing when he saw both hy and mine expression of disbelief.

Well, that only gave me more motivation to at least be able to blade without falling every 50 metres. And I must say, it was quite an accomplishment when we managed to blade back to the kiosk after 2 hrs without no major accidents, and all skin intact. Must really thank Yibs who gotta stay by our side and gave us great encouragement to keep trying. (Though i think we must have been great entertainment for him too. hehe.)

Now, the big question is, should I continue to learn blading? Or has my butt suffered enough?

Your guess is as good as mine. For the time being, it's beach volleyball next sun!

No comments: