Thursday, May 31, 2007

Swell

I look at my fingers and they don't look familiar anymore.

The mark made from my wedding ring is slowly fading, ever since I stopped wearing the ring 2 mths back.

I clench my hands and the numbing sensation comes to me.

The swelling knuckles remind me of my mum's hands.

And as I look at my own hands now, I thought to myself, "This is what I'm getting myself into: MOTHERHOOD."

I started wondering how my mum's hands looked like before she got married and had 3 of us. How she felt when she realised that her wedding ring no longer fit and she had to content herself with Dad's rings instead. How she felt when she looked at her own bare hands and saw that they are not as smooth and slender as before.

Perhaps, she has taken all these in stride and treated them as part and parcel of her life. All I can hope for, is that whenever she looks at her family, at her children who have all stepped into adulthood (well, one who's almost there), she will think that whatever she's sacrificed for the family, it's all worth it.

Cos I certainly hope that whatever I've done, am doing, and will do for my family, will be all worth it.

No comments: