Monday, October 08, 2007

Exhaustion

It's been more than a week since I started work. The brand new haircut got me feeling refreshed and excited at the thought of going back to work, undaunted by the challenge of being a full-time working mum. Alas, but that didn't last long.

"Challenge" is definitely the word, as I find myself having to wake up in the middle of the night to tend to baby fox, whether it is to pat him back to sleep or to give him his feed, and before I know it, it's 1 more hr to go before I have to get up to prepare to go to work. I find little comfort from my good old friend called "caffeine", and now I'm hoping the boxes of chicken essence and bird's nest will come in handy. Oh, and the little orange pill AL hands out every morning to her zombie-like colleagues. haha.

Anyway, baby fox turns 3 mths today, and I took childcare leave as he's scheduled for his 5-in-1 jab, as well as the rotavirus vaccine (a.k.a. burn-a-big-hole-in-parents'-pocket vaccinations). I was a bit worried as baby fox has been suffering from stuffy nose for the past few days, and I was not sure if it is serious enough to warrant a visit to the PD who charges like all parents are filthy rich, or is it just a case of "baby fox inherits mr and mrs fox's sensitive nose syndrome". In any case, we decided to let the polyclinic doc assess his condition to see if he's up to receiving the 5-in-1 jab.

Turns out the doc aint too worried about his runny nose, and gave the go-ahead for the jab. All in all, we spent 2 hrs waiting to see the nurse for basic checks and measurements (oh, baby fox has grown 10cm and 2.8kg since birth!), the doc for 3rd mth assessment, and back to the nurse for the jab. Hence, by the time baby fox was given his jab, he did not cry from the pain, but eventually was wailing cos he was tired and in need of his morn nap.

But the ordeal is not over. The rotavirus vaccine must be taken on the same day, but as it is not avail at the polyclinic, we have to go to a GP in Hougang Mall to that little bottle of oral vaccine that cost $100. Thank goodness baby fox took the vaccine down and did not puke it out (the GP warned us beforehand that from his experience, a lot of babies do not take well to the vaccine).

Certainly an eventful day, and I predict I won't have it easy tonight. And it's back to work tomorrow. It took me 2+ mths to get used to being mummy and taking pretty good care of baby fox at home. So how long will it take for me to get used to being apart from baby fox in the day, and surviving work (and deadlines) with sleep-deprived nights? *Shudder*

Ok, as usual, shall end this post with some pics of baby fox.

At Nexus' BBQ, 1 week before I report back to work. 1 day before my visit to the salon.
This pic is the only evidence that mr fox was at the BBQ. hehe.

Baby fox looking 'ah beng'.

Baby fox has grown so much! He's filling so much more space in this rocker compared to 1 mth ago!

No comments: