Monday, July 17, 2006

Depends on what you want in life

"Depends on what you want in life," that's the piece of advice I got today. Such a big statement, so simply put in 7 words, that you'd think that you have the answer right away.

And so, I asked myself, "What do I want in life?"

Do I have the answer? Yes, and no.

Yes, because all along, for the past few years, I've told myself that all I want is to be happy. I do not need big houses, big cars. I do not ask for much. I strive to maintain a comfortable level in life, anything else that comes along is a bonus. Of course, each time i pass by the big houses along Holland Rd, each time I see a smart-looking woman driving a SLK, i would wonder if i'd ever get to live in that kind of place, to own a car like that. But no, I do not build my life and motivate myself with those in mind. There are other things i look for.

That's where the problem lies.

The things i want in life, are the basic ingredients of happiness. And this is where the NO comes in. Because, no one knows the secret recipe to happiness. Your recipe may not work on me, nor mine on yours, because, well, you are not me, and I am not you. Simple as that.

And right now, I am in that phase where you keep asking yourself, "Is this what you want to do?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?", "Is it time to move on?", "Are you stuck in your comfort zone?", "Have you become jaded", or "Are you thinking way too much?"

I tell that to myself. That i think too much, worry too much, imagine too much. Sometimes, perhaps, things are really meant to be. Sometimes, you gotta let things happen. Sometimes, you gotta take action. Sometimes, you gotta sit back and let others take the step. Sometimes, you gotta look back and wonder. Sometimes, you gotta move on. Sometimes, you just gotta go with the flow and see how things go.

So, with all the nonsensical philosophical ramblings i've done, what's my point?

My point is, life is short. Don't think too much.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't go with the flow buddy. Flow with the go. It easier.

Notamamashop Owner said...

true true... the last time i was at the lazy river @JE swimming pool hor... i was going with the flow... when the flow crashed me into another lazer in the river!

shannz said...

thanks yibs, for trying so hard to explain to me the difference between go with the flow and flow with the go. I get it, really, so u dun have to delete your comment. haha.