
What caught my attention is:
1. Singapore is ranked lowest in Asia, and 131 in the world in terms of level of happiness (among 178 countries).
2. Countries in the region, that I thought would rank much lower than Singapore, have actually fared better: Vietnam (12), Philippines (17), Indonesia (23), Malaysia (62), etc.
3. Vanuatu (yes, that same island where a bunch of survior-wannabes were stuck on in a bid to win US$1 mil), with a population of 200,00, is ranked #1. And "the greatest worries we have are cyclones and earthquakes".
4. It's ironic how this article is placed right under the Smile Singapore campaign ad.
And this got me thinking. Are we, Singaporeans, really that unhappy?
For a start, I shall list some things that I can think of that usually spoil MY day:
1. Waking up to a heavy rain at 6.30am, but knowing that it's a weekday and I can't continue to snuggle in my bed, but have to get my ass up and go to work, in the rain.
2. Reaching the MRT station, and realising that I have missed the train that will lead to me missing my bus to work.
3. Having to endure the close body contact with total strangers in the train just because some inconsiderate souls refuse to budge that few steps towards the middle of the carriage.
4. Trying to do some work when AK starts yakking away LOUDLY, or worse, when she starts making that disgusting, "old-uncle-clearing-throat-to-spit" sound.
5. Wanting to buy a pack of sinful black pepper chicken rice that i've been craving for, but it's sold out.
6. And so on... (will add on to my list of frustrations....)
Perhaps, like what JT said, Singaporeans are constantly unhappy because we can never get satisfied. The lists of things we want in life grows on and on. I know, because I am one of those guilty ones. From CRT TVs to now, LCD ones. From radio receiver to stylo-milo MP3 player. From Canon shutter camera to Panasonic digital cam. From long bus rides to my silver getz.
BUT am i not happy? Because I still have a long list of things that I'd LOVE to get but have to put on hold due to $$$$ constraints?
I gave it a good thinking, and I concluded that, I am actually happy. Because:
1. I wake up knowing I have a job.
2. Having a job means I don't have to be a burden to my parents, and can in fact, ease their burden.
3. Despite missing the train, I know the next one will come in 2 minutes. And so what if i miss the connecting bus? What matters is I get to the office in 1 piece.
4. I like working with my colleagues (with a few exceptions of course). It makes a lot of difference when you 'click' and working actually becomes fun.
5. Although black pepper chicken rice is always sold out, there's still the trusted mixed rice stall. I will not get starved because there's no more chicken rice. hehe.
6. I have a family to come home to.
7. I have my buddies!
8. I have my mr Fox (who's flying back tmr!)
9. And more...
ok, I am beginning to stray off track again and start my typical shannz rambling. So i shall stop my list here (my eyes feel tired too), and share a few pics of my day instead:
Farewell lunch for Sherlene @Crystal Jade La Mian Xiaolongbao (Holland Village)

Dinner at Margaret Drive with Yibs and Ah Ber
1. Singapore is ranked lowest in Asia, and 131 in the world in terms of level of happiness (among 178 countries).
2. Countries in the region, that I thought would rank much lower than Singapore, have actually fared better: Vietnam (12), Philippines (17), Indonesia (23), Malaysia (62), etc.
3. Vanuatu (yes, that same island where a bunch of survior-wannabes were stuck on in a bid to win US$1 mil), with a population of 200,00, is ranked #1. And "the greatest worries we have are cyclones and earthquakes".
4. It's ironic how this article is placed right under the Smile Singapore campaign ad.
And this got me thinking. Are we, Singaporeans, really that unhappy?For a start, I shall list some things that I can think of that usually spoil MY day:
1. Waking up to a heavy rain at 6.30am, but knowing that it's a weekday and I can't continue to snuggle in my bed, but have to get my ass up and go to work, in the rain.
2. Reaching the MRT station, and realising that I have missed the train that will lead to me missing my bus to work.
3. Having to endure the close body contact with total strangers in the train just because some inconsiderate souls refuse to budge that few steps towards the middle of the carriage.
4. Trying to do some work when AK starts yakking away LOUDLY, or worse, when she starts making that disgusting, "old-uncle-clearing-throat-to-spit" sound.
5. Wanting to buy a pack of sinful black pepper chicken rice that i've been craving for, but it's sold out.
6. And so on... (will add on to my list of frustrations....)
Perhaps, like what JT said, Singaporeans are constantly unhappy because we can never get satisfied. The lists of things we want in life grows on and on. I know, because I am one of those guilty ones. From CRT TVs to now, LCD ones. From radio receiver to stylo-milo MP3 player. From Canon shutter camera to Panasonic digital cam. From long bus rides to my silver getz.
BUT am i not happy? Because I still have a long list of things that I'd LOVE to get but have to put on hold due to $$$$ constraints?
I gave it a good thinking, and I concluded that, I am actually happy. Because:
1. I wake up knowing I have a job.
2. Having a job means I don't have to be a burden to my parents, and can in fact, ease their burden.
3. Despite missing the train, I know the next one will come in 2 minutes. And so what if i miss the connecting bus? What matters is I get to the office in 1 piece.
4. I like working with my colleagues (with a few exceptions of course). It makes a lot of difference when you 'click' and working actually becomes fun.
5. Although black pepper chicken rice is always sold out, there's still the trusted mixed rice stall. I will not get starved because there's no more chicken rice. hehe.
6. I have a family to come home to.
7. I have my buddies!
8. I have my mr Fox (who's flying back tmr!)
9. And more...
ok, I am beginning to stray off track again and start my typical shannz rambling. So i shall stop my list here (my eyes feel tired too), and share a few pics of my day instead:
Farewell lunch for Sherlene @Crystal Jade La Mian Xiaolongbao (Holland Village)

Dinner at Margaret Drive with Yibs and Ah Ber








2 comments:
Love the candid shot of me. Love my black protruding gums and my bar geh jutting out. Love you Shan for posting that pic on your blog. *grinz*
ooooh, ur comment just made my day!
Post a Comment